Thursday, April 30, 2009

Still on Meds./Feeling under the weather

So, an update on Allison is in order.  In our last post we told you we were going to take her off her meds. and see how she does.  After much thinking, praying and discussing we decided to wait a bit.  The three of us (Allison, Mom & Dad) weren't convinced we were ready for that extreme of a jump.  So, she has continued to take her methotrexate as normal the last two weeks.  We need to make the decision on if we are going to try and wean her off, take her off completely or continue status quo with taking the medication.  When we did research we found most often kids are weaned off this medication not taken off cold turkey and that usually they go longer symptom free before even weaning them.  We still have full confidence in our doctor and when the decision was made to take her off he wanted our complete agreement.  But, we have some concerns and so does Allison.  We decided it is better to take our time and not feel rushed and pressured.  So, we will keep you updated on her status.

Allison has also been sick this week.  She has missed school all week and I don't see her being able to make it on Friday. Missing school is a huge deal for her since she missed so much last year.  She seems to have a flu bug.  ( No, we are not concerned about Swine Flu at this time as she is not running a fever.)  I am concerned because the medication she takes suppresses her immune system and with being sick her immune system is compromised even more.  So, we will keep an eye on her closely even when she starts getting better.  With her depleted immune system I fear she could be very vulnerable if exposed to the swine flu.  Lots of hand washing and use of sanitizer around our house right now.  

The Arthritis Walk in Salem is coming up May 9th.  Allison has currently met her personal goal of $500 but we need to keep working on the team goal.  She is now thinking of raising her personal goal.  We currently have 11 members on her team ( Mitch has yet to register-slow poke.) If you would like to take a nice stroll along the river in Salem with us on Saturday May 9th feel free to sign up for Allison's team. 

 Check out the website at     and click on Allison or Team Lightning.

1 comment:

Cindy Price said...

It is a good idea to stay on the mtx for a bit longer. If she comes down with the flu with a fever, bring her to the doctor quickly, and insist on Tamiflu. We are keeping an eye on Marian. Have fun this weekend!! Cindy